Start/Home:
Downloads & Links:
anz(at)vespa50.se
ALBUM

PHOTOS:

Steering Lock and keys

(26)

Wheels

(22)

Seats and luggage carrier

(23)

Taillight

(6)

Front fork

(35)

Handlebar

(10)

Body/Frame

(25)

Motor/Engine

(31)

Before and After

(7)

Steering Lock and keys

1

The Vespa had no steeringlock, and when searching for a new one, I noticed that the prices were very high. A friend had a keyless lock and said i could have it. I only paid about €2 for dispatching. Original part in good condition.

First I made some tools to open pick the lock.

2

This step is not required, but helpful. To learn how to open locks, search the internet for "lock picking". Open a lock is quite easy. It only took me 20 seconds. At the same time I found that it takes more than this steering lock to protect my Vespa.

3

The idea is to turn that little latch on the back of the main cylinder and move to the middle. Unfortunately it was stuck and was really hard to get out. With a small "Dremmel" just cut it out. But be careful to not spoil anything.

Now just disassemble/take out the main cylinder. Do it inside a plastic bag, so you donīt lose the springs.

4

As for the key, itīs a regular key. Once again, a friend gave me one that matched perfectly! It was from is cellar :) I chosed this key because it was so used. This will not be the final key, but backup...

5

The cylinder had many corners/scratches. In general nothing to do here, but since i had dismounted it, I thought it was better to polish the cylinder.

6

To polish the cylinder I used the finest water sandpaper i could find. Be careful to not increase the diameter of the hole.

7

Also on the back I had to sanding some corners/scratches. Over time, the grease dried out and the friction breached the back of the cylinder. Be careful here. Donīt take away more material than itīs needed.

8

Now, the fun part. To encode the lock with the new key, I just changed the place of the small cylinders with eachother until they are all outside.

9

With a small rasp I removed the material that went out of the main cylinder to the same level. The material is very soft and only took a few minutes. Even so, be careful.

The steering lock is now coded with a new key...

10

The final part will be removing the latch that I had to cut out to dismantle the the coil. I used a drill to get it out. I was careful, still took a few minutes to remove it. Be careful not spoil the spring that lies beneath the latch.

11

To make a new latch I used a needle from a spray gun. Itīs made of stainless steel and the diameter was almost right. I cut a piece of it and...

12

...with a fine rasp and my "Dremmel", i adjusted it to the right diameter. I had to check several times until I was sure it was perfect.

13

Done! The latch came just right without hitting the corners but at the same time had no slack. This step took a long time, most because the steel was so hard and i needed to had the precise diameter.

14

I cut the latch with the right measure and rounded the corners. Then I put the spring in the hole. Again, try to do it inside a plastic bag or you can lose the latch/spring. It happened to me and I had to make a new latch!

15

The latch has to enter fully inside into the coil, or you will not be able to assemble the lock. The latch will make it impossible for the coil to get out of the cylinder.

16

One more thing to do with the latch. I took off a corner on the latch as you can see in the picture. When the main coil is in place, the spring pushes the latch into the right position, closing/locking the coil. Without this little corner, the latch canīt come out.

17

Final step, assembly all parts. I started with the springs in the holes of the cylinder. At the same time, I used grease to lubricate the cylinder. Using grease, the parts get "glued".

18

The next step was to put those little coils above the springs. Difficult task. These little coils are mounted with the rounded upwards.

19

After having tried many ways, I began to put one by one. Use grease so they donīt go anyway.

20

I put the spring and the latch in place. In the first attempt, I forgot the spring and it was quite difficult to take out the latch!

21

Almost done. After mounting the latch, I put the key and the small coils in the holes/place. Always use your fingers, so the latch canīt "fly" away. Using grease, the small coils stay in place.

22

Just put the main coil inside the cylinder a few millimeters so the latch doesnīt emerge from its hole and stays in place.

23

To put the small coils in place, I put them one by one from the rear. When inserting the main coil, stopp before the first hole, press the small coil down in the hole with a toothpick or something similar. Then just push the main coil in front of the next hole until they are all in place.

24

When the main coil is in place, the latch is pushed out closing the main coil in the cylinder.

25

Done! The steering lock is now working with a new key. I could have bought a new lock (copie), but I preferred to use a orignal part, and it only took 2 hours to do everything. There is no need to drill/destroy the original lock!

Funny, i can now open both my Vespa and my friends cellar with the same key :)

26

As for the key, itīs possible to find one (original). I found actually copies of original keys for €8 on ebay. I just need to encode the keys on the local drugstore and iīm done!